Troy Township, Established 1850 - Will County, Illinois
How to Appeal Your Property Assessment

If you feel that you are being over-assessed, we encourage you to contact our Township office first before filing an appeal to Will County. We may be able to resolve your issue and a formal appeal may not be necessary.

First you should review your property record card for any errors. If an error is found, it can easily be corrected.  You may have a legitimate assessment complaint if you can support any of the following claims:

  • The Assessor’s market value is higher than actual market value. (This claim can be supported if you have recently purchased your property on the open market or if you supply a professional appraisal or if similar homes in your neighborhood have sold for less.)
  • The primary assessment of the property is based on inaccurate information.
  • The assessment is higher than those of similar house style/age and size in your neighborhood.

You can appeal your assessment by filling out a grid and choosing whether your comparables are for Sales or Equity. Comparables should be within your neighborhood.  See below for link to a blank grid that you can complete on your property and four neighboring properties for comparison.

Sales comparables are sales of homes that are similar to yours that sold within the previous three years and are arms-length, valid sales. Look for sales that are the same style (2 story, Ranch, Tri-level, Condo, etc), close in year built, square foot, outside construction (brick / siding) whether it has a basement, crawl, slab, garage size and any extras like deck, patio, inground pool, open or enclosed frame porch.

Equity comparables are homes that are similar to yours, as listed above, that are assessed lower.

All property information for your grid can be found on our website Assessed values can be found on Will County website. If you do not have access to a computer you may bring in addresses of the homes you are using as comparables and we will assist you with pulling property record cards or showing you our sales books.

Tips to Assist you in Completing the Grid

To find your Property Index No. (Pin) go to our website Choose the Assessor tab from the menu on the left side then Property Search. Click on the acceptance bar. Choose the Address Search tab. Omitting the Street Number will give you more accurate results. Enter the Street name and City, click Search Property Data. The next screen displays the Parcel # (which is the Property Index No (Pin), Address, Sale Date, and Sale Amount. By clicking on the Parcel # you will receive more information for that parcel. There is also a link at the bottom of the page to the Will County SOA Website. Their site also shows the Assessment information.

Once your grid is completed you can submit it to us via fax 815-744-5803, email or bring it to us in person. Our office is open M-F 8:00am-4:00pm. We also will be having extended hours on Thursday August 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th until 6:00pm.

2019 Assessor’s Grid This grid MUST be returned to the Troy Township Assessor’s office before 4:00 pm on Monday, August 26, 2019.

If after meeting with the Assessor and/or Deputies, and researching sales and assessments, you still feel your property is overvalued, you have the right to appeal your assessment with Will County Board of Review. This must be done within (30) days after publication of reassessments, which are published the first week in August. Forms and instructions for completing them can be obtained at the Board of Review Office at the Will County Office Building, at our office, or on the Supervisor of Assessments Website at

All 2019 Assessment Appeal to the Will County Board of Review Forms must be submitted to the Will County Supervisor of Assessment’s office by end of day on Sept. 9th, 2019.
Their office is located at:
302 N. Chicago Street
2nd Floor
Joliet, IL 60432
Ph: 815-740-4648

© 2004-2020 All rights reserved. Designed and Maintained by NJS Enterprises, Inc.